Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rein's

LOCATION: 435 Hartford Turnpike Vernon, CT
TYPE OF FOOD: "Traditional New York Style Jewish Deli" (is there, like, a Maine style Catholic deli?)
REVIEW: The "New York style deli" claim is one of the oldest tricks in the book (older than the chicken and egg riddle, which scientists say they have solved.... and yet they have said nearly every food is unhealthy, tea, potatoes, what's next, carrots?). It makes one believe that because it is New York, the diner capital of the world (two within half a mile, that's closer than Dunkin' Donuts' in Boston), "style", it has to be good, right? Well, 65% of the time that's correct. On that note, let's start the actual review instead-of-wasting-your-time-with-a-few-jokes-and-making-some-random-point (oh I just did that.... dang).

With every diner on the planet, the menu is as big as Arizona's lawsuits (I don't have a passport, so that doesn't make me an American?). On the menu, there's everything from sandwiches to calves liver and onions to stewed prunes. I was stuck between two options: an egg white omelette or a roast beef sandwich. Note how I say an egg white omelette: I didn't know there were egg whites (well, in one word: darn). So I chose a (try to say it in one breath) roast beef sandwich on whole-wheat bread with lettuce and onions (I cannot be held for any frustration that may have been caused there. Ha.). After only a short bit, the food came.

The sandwich was very, very good. The meat was nice and tasty, the vegetables were there but didn't take over the sandwich. But the best part was the bread. The bread was a perfect platform for a perfect sandwich. After I finished, I ordered a fruit salad for dessert. The fruit was fresh and delicious. The selection of fruit didn't seem out of place or random (cherries, oranges, and peaches, oh my!), which made the salad even better. Even the tap water was good. So, I got up, paid, got into the car, and drove off.

SERVICE: The service was very fast and patient (done with nice and friendly! It's giving me word cancer!). They were busy and at work, and if they weren't working, they were taking orders and/or printing receipts. Which pretty much is work. Which means my last two sentences were redundant. Oh well, there's no grammar police. Or is there? There is a Dream Police (they live inside my head).

ATMOSPHERE: The atmosphere was pretty much Manhattan themed. There's a statue of the Statue of Liberty with plastic (?) "flame" above the torch. There are also many signs related to 9/11. On my way in, I spotted two signs saying, "Remember" and "Never Forget", with pictures of firemen helmets. On the lighter side, there is also signs with humor. As you go to the bathrooms, there are two signs above the door: Queens for women, Menhattan (spelled correctly as on the sign) for men (the bathrooms by the way are fine). And anyone with a sense of humor is my friend. Unless you're Gilbert Godfried. That guy has a very annoying voice (I'm not even going to describe it, it's like nails on a chalkboard).

PRICE: Two people, twenty-five dollars. The price may look a little big, but the food is high quality and fresh. This is also factoring in two entrees and a dessert. So ditto the dessert, and you got twenty (maybe). But you definitely want dessert. Can you resist sour cream coffee cake? I don't think so!

RATING: Rein's is a delicious place for anyone craving a mean sandwich. With a great New York atmosphere, menu, and price, I can happily say that Rein's is 100% authentic New York/Jewish deli. And it's in not even in New York. Connecticut 1, New York 0. Arizona? Don't ask. Rein's gets a five out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment