Friday, December 2, 2011

Tango Mango vs. Anna's Taqueria

A few years ago, there was an article in the Boston Globe. It was about three college students, who, with nothing but time on their hands, decided to sample the best burritos in the city. They all stunk, for their own separate reasons, but in the end, the majority ruled that Anna's Taqueria triumphed over all. Since I read that article so many years, I decided to do my own taste test, but this time between my two favorites: Tango Mango and Anna's. I decided to do it as soon as possible, tomorrow even, a week from then, a month, three years.... well, I decided on the last option of course.

The burritos were arranged the same way; whole-wheat tortilla, pinto and black beans, chicken, lettuce and hot sauce. After they were brought to me blind, I studied them briefly from an outside look (about two feet above the plates, ooh!. As you might believe, I concluded nothing from this look, and I took my first bite.

The first burrito had much, much flavor and when I mean flavor, I mean hot sauce. A lot of hot sauce. I could still taste the other ingredients as well, and I noticed the chicken was close to burnt. This was no problem to me. I took a second bite to reassure myself of my conclusions, found that I was right (aren't I always?) and turned my attention to the second burrito via swinging my head (I think this is what people usually do).

The second burrito... was bland. Beyond bland. It had no flavor. There was no hot sauce, and despite the amount of stuffing, I had very little other flavor. Yes, everything was cooked, yes, the tortilla was steamed right, but I didn't get much flavor. Once again, I took another bite, and I realized I was right.

FINAL VERDICT: The first burrito won my heart and my stomach on this occasion.

IDENTITY: It was Anna's. Despite my hardcore fanaticism for Tango Mango, I chose Anna's. I don't know what to think for this one. I feel I've betrayed myself. But hey, that's okay for my self-esteem, right? Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment