Monday, April 30, 2012

Flour Bakery

LOCATION: 190 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02210 TYPE OF FOOD: American REVIEW: Hello readers. It's nice to be back finally reviewing on this blog for once. For once. So, what is my amazing return to restaurant review land after seven months? Which place do I happen to fancy? What location causes me to consume its food products? What spot on the planet we call Earth beckons me past its door? What longitude and latitude was I attracted to for a lunch? What was the (insert another word for location here) RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT????????????????? Am I just stalling? WEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, okay, okay, I'll stop. I went into Flour Bakery. I actually had a fairly long time deciding what to get (shocker). I had eaten lunch a few times before, with varying levels of quality and enjoyment. The last time I went I had the chicken, jicama and mashed avocado, which was okay but not great. The specials were a quiche with spinach and French feta, some sort of salad, a stuffed bread with sausage and some homefries that were sold out. Since none of those appealed to my culinary muscular hydrostat on the floor of my mouth which manipulates food for mastication, I turned my cognitive process of selectively concentrating on one aspect of the environment while ignoring other things to the regular menu. A grilled tofu sandwich with olive tapenade was appealing, but not by enough. A lamb sandwich was also another appealing option, but with goat cheese (one of the most vile substances on the face of this planet) I had to sadly turn my head away in shame of that horrid ingredient. Finally, I decided within seconds of ordering: a mozzarella, basil pesto and tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread (what a twist! And guess what, Bruce Willis died in Sixth Sense!) and a green iced tea would do nicely. I sat down with the iced tea in hand. The iced tea had a slightly bitter taste, but since I love bitter tea, there was no problem. The tea, luckily, was strong as an iron bar and was a perfect refreshment to have. With ten percent of the tea gone, the sandwich arrived. The first I noticed was the bread: delicious, soft to the touch and with a certain, lovely moisture to it. The next thing that came was the pesto which, despite its deliciousness, was overpowered by the mozzarella and was not present enough in the sandwich. The mozzarella was delicious and fresh as if it just was prepared in the restaurant, and if it overpowered the other elements, that was not a horrible thing. The tomato was at the bottom of the sandwich, and although its amount was small, its flavor and freshness was present as much as the mozzarella. Needless to say, I ate it all, including the iced tea and left the establishment which prepares and serves food and drink to customers in return for money happy. SERVICE: The service at Flour mainly consists of a bunch of college-aged workers behind the counter, and as a result, you interact with them for about twenty seconds. So, because of that, I did not feel an impact, positive or negative. They did not sound impatient or frustrated or happy or really any emotion, but I can't blame them: working in a restaurant at noon on a Sunday makes one busy. So I don't have a "grade" for the service at Flour. "I'm sorry" readers, "but" this "time", I "can't give "an opinion" on the "service" at "Flour" Bakery. Is it "me" or is "something" wrong with "my" keyboard? Heh, it's "probably" nothing. ATMOSPHERE: The atmosphere was busy, like I mentioned before, but was still cozy and welcoming. The restaurant had nicely bright colors and a couple of pieces of not so bad art on the walls. The menu was written on a blackboard in chalk, which gave it a French cafe feel to it (strange, I keep finding Paris travel books all over my house... hmm) that seemed authentic and not forced. The floors were nicely clean and the bathrooms had the same quality as well, even in the spots which are dirty in most restaurants (hint hint). So all in all, the layer of gases that may surround a material body of sufficient ma- oh, wait hang on, that's the definition of the atmosphere of a planet, um, hang on... let's see... Wiktionary... atmosphere... ah, there it is.. ahem, the particular mood or atmosphere-wait, that's ambiance... the mood or feeling of the restaurant was top-notch (whew, finally). PRICE: The sandwich caused the price of eight dollars in total. The portion size was on the small size, however, but it did fill me up, and based on the quality of the sandwich the price is okay. It could better, but for the quality and the fact that I was full at the end, I'll say the price matched the food. Although I'm no economist. Although I did see Margin Call. Although I studied the Panic of 1837. Although I have read about currency. Although- yeah, I'm no economist. Although... RATING: Flour Bakery is a decently priced, well-done food joint with a great atmosphere and an okay price. A couple of problems with the food and a lack of service does hurt it, and I have to hold it against the restaurant. Now, there is one thing, that as I type this up, there is one thing I have to mention. You see, when I was at the restaurant, I turned my head and I saw, well, how to say this, I saw-OMG SHERLOCK IS ON SHERLOCK IS ON SHERLOCK IS ON SORRY SORRY SHERLOCK IS ON SHERLOCK IS ON, UM UM UM SORRY SHERLOCK IS ON SHERLOCK IS ON SHERLOCK IS ON, HOLD ON GIVE ME A MOMENT GIVE ME A MOMENT- excuse me, ahem, Sherlock is on. Ahem. Flour Bakery gets a four out of five. Now if you'll excuse me, Sherlock is on. Just want to make sure you know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment