Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Simply Crepes

LOCATION: 114 South Avenue Rochester, NY
TYPE OF FOOD: Breakfast (French/American)
REVIEW: Restaurants can be in any place, in any climate, in any building, anywhere in the world. Some restaurants are plain old solitary buildings. Some are not. Some restaurants location make a big impression on your experience. Some don't. Libraries, if they have any food whatsoever, have a Starbucks (or some other chain running out all of the family run ones, take your pick), or a dumpy, half-put together cafe. So you would probably have the same amount of surprise I had-which was "huh" leveled-when I discovered this place was in the middle of a public library. One question-who wants crepes with C.S. Lewis (think of it as the Crepe, the Library, and the Really, Really Bad Joke)?

I looked at the menu. There was nothing on the menu in which I could eat without changing it. As my drink I ordered tea. My tea came back before I ordered my food. The tea came with tea bags, as they usually do. What I didn't know is that I had plenty of variety (no more Democrat-or-Republican decisions, I'm going with the zillions of other third parties which get two votes each). They were at least six different types of tea. I took rooibos. The tea, sadly, was quite weak, although I believe that was my fault. Finally I ordered my food. I took the Specialty Fruit crepe without the whipped cream, brown sugar, and maple syrup that they had. I asked the sauces to be on the side.

After at least twenty minutes, I got my crepe. The crepe had bananas, blueberries, and strawberries. The fruit was fresh, but the crepe was slightly cold, but I think that was because of the fruit. The crepe was hard to cut (it was like cutting through silly putty-but who does that?), but when the fruit fell off my fork, I tasted the crepe itself, which was good. Shortly after I finished my meal, I noticed that I was filled to the brim. The crepe, I now realize, was quite filling. I lifted myself out of the seat, walked through the doorframe that was there (no door), walked through the library, and left.

SERVICE: The service was nice, but spend nearly all of the time behind the counter. In fact, when I was there, there were only three staff. And they were arguing. They also for the regular breakfast crepes went overboard on the eggs (at least three eggs in that artery clogger). I kind of felt bad for them because I don't really think many people come. But alas, for what I don't know, I cannot do commentary on.

ATMOSPHERE: The floor was spotless. No wrappers, no footprints, nothing. And the view into the library was quite nice, as they wasn't much noise coming from it. However the air smelled like bacon, and I noticed one persons' hair smelled like it. I can finally declare to all bacon-holics that it is now raining bacon (or at least the smell)

PRICE: My crepe cost eight dollars. It was smaller than the regular crepes, but because my crepe was fruit and so cut down, and I can't hold this against them. Most likely, three friends can eat here for twenty-five dollars (according to my "formula"). Four friends with thirty dollars? Don't push it.

RATING: Simply Crepes is a cute little place. The food is pretty decent, and the tea has plenty of options. However the food is just decent, and it smells like bacon. And if you talk too loud you lose your "rights to the library". No, just kidding. But don't say that to your elementary school librarian. Simply Crepes gets a simple four out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment